Sunday, December 4, 2016

Three Takes on a Poinsettia Brad Wreath Card

Hey there, it's my day on the Eyelet Outlet Blog again, where I've got a few new holiday cards that might just make you do a triple take. Yes, I've basically made the same card three times, each using the same fun Freshly Made Sketch (#265) and each featuring fabulous Eyelet Outlet Poinsettia Brads adorning a simple holiday wreath, but I've approached it in three different-- equally easy-- ways:


You know I love watercolor, so of course I had to have a go at painting a wreath! I started by lightly marking a 2.5" circle on a piece of watercolor paper, mixed a little Lime Green ColorBurst pigment powder with water and painted rough V-shaped branches all the way around the circle. When my paper was completely dry, I took a little bit of fairly concentrated Pthalo Green pigment, and used a fan brush to create a pine needle effect.


When that was completely dry, I added a few details in pen, cut around the wreath with scissors, and attached the beautiful Poinsettia Brads, a few tiny red "berries" from a Pearl Bling Strip, plus a sentiment fashioned from Merry Christmas Washi Tape stuck to plain white cardstock and trimmed into a neat little banner shape. And that was that!


If you hate to paint, here's another way to go: Use two circle punches to create a green cardstock ring, this will be the base of your wreath. Diecut or punch a dozen or so of your favorite greenery (I've got some Spellbinders' Mini Greens here) from several shades of green cardstock or patterned paper. Use a tape runner to attach the branches to the cardstock base in layers, trimming as necessary.


When the wreath is complete, add Poinsettia Brads and a washi tape sentiment and affix it to your card with a bit of foam tape, for dimension.


My third card started with a Pebbles cardstock wreath sticker, which was very lovely, but alas, quite flat. Until... I added Poinsettia Brads, Tiny Red Pearls and one more Merry Christmas sentiment! (Ok, yes, this one's admittedly a bit of a cheat, but we're into December now, so it's time to get the Christmas cards in the mail!) 


I hope you'll be inspired to grab YOUR favorite Eyelet Outlet Holiday Brads and think up some fun new ways to use them.

PS: Follow the Eyelet Outlet Facebook Page and Pinterest Board to see new ideas from the awesome Eyelet Outlet Design Team every single day!!!

PSS: I used Freshly Made Sketch #265 on all three cards, though I'm not sure the watercolor one is entirely CAS enough, so I'll understand if I'm disqualified. It's a great sketch though... see?


5 comments:

  1. Lauren these are just beautiful!! Your eye for design and creativeness is so inspiring ❤️❤️❤️💯💯💯

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous Lauren! Fabulous take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to see three different wreaths all with the same sketch! Lovely projects! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards all three. Love the different wreaths, lots of great ideas.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each is so unique and so pretty! Wonderful way to show how techniques can totally change the same idea into beautiful options. Glad to see you this week at FMS!

    ReplyDelete

the *BEST* part of blogging is the comments, dontcha think? thanks for taking time to leave one! ~♥~